Sunday, November 7, 2010

Crossing the Street

Hunter has a balance bike, which he loves to ride. He is getting very fast and Xavier and I can't keep up with him on our walks around the block. I am trying to teach Hunter to stop at the corners and wait for me. About two weeks ago, Hunter had gone ahead of me and Xavier decided he wasn't going to move any further (he had been pushing his red Little Tikes Car). After a few minutes trying to negotiate with a 20 month old, I was getting more concerned that I couldn't see Hunter and that he hadn't turned around to come back towards me. I picked up Xavier and walked briskly to the corner to find Hunter across the street, standing in our driveway with juice boxes in hand (that he had taken out the refrigerator in the garage). I was furious, and grabbed him and his brother, stormed into the house, and put Hunter in a time out. Afterward I said to Hunter, "Hunter, you never cross the street without a grown up, that is very dangerous." Hunter looked at me and said, "But God was with me mom." I was still pretty angry, but it took every ounce of will power not to burst out laughing. I looked at Hunter, and in a stern voice said, "that doesn't count, you need to be able to see the grown up." For the rest of the week, as we continued to revisit the subject of street safety, Hunter stubbornly held to his belief that he wasn't alone when he crossed the street, that God indeed was with him. After much negotiation, Hunter and I have come to the agreement that he must have two grown ups with him when he crosses the street, God and mommy (or daddy or the babysitter).

As a side note, Hunter goes to Sunday School nearly every week. Since September they have been learning the concept that "God is near, and God is here." I think he gets it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment